Tuesday 7 October 2008

A Survey

Got this survey from Food Snobbery is my Hobbery. And I like surveys, so here it goes. Again, I (Pamela) am in blue.
(And I'm in pink - S)

1. Name a song that involves food in some way.


Cherry Boy by Cutie Pi (It has nothing to do with cherries, the food, but it's from the boy's band and the first song that came to mind)

You Put Your Chocolate in my Peanut Butter - NOFX

2. What criteria do you use when choosing a new cookbook to buy?
I usually just check out a few reviews on the Vegan Freaks Forums.
I don't know really. Recommendations mostly I guess. Any book that uses lots of chilli, or hot sauce or has a lot of spices in it, will generally end up on my to buy list.

3. What did you eat today?

Blueberry muffins for breakfast and spinach, pea, and potato soup for lunch.

Coffee and a banana for breakfast (i didn't have time this morning since I had a trial student for my babies classes); lunch was bento w/ genmai, koya-dofu, umeboshi and spinach, red pepper, raisin, sunflower seed salad; dinner was sweet potato & pumpkin soup with plenty of garlic, ginger and spices.

4. Name a vegan food that you know exists but you have never tried.

Teese!
Teese!

5. The Food Network just called and needs you to start your new show tomorrow. What will the title of the show be?

Not Your Mom's Cooking Show
Vegan, Vegan, Pants on Fire: Sarah's Awesome Spicy Cooking Show

6. Favorite hot sauce or other spicy condiment?


Mustard
Wow, how can I even begin to answer that one?! I like everything spicy! My favourite hot sauces are Cholula and Sriracha (cock sauce, haha). But my favourite spicy thing right now is definetely chipotle. Mmmm, my lust for chipotle has even led to scandalous behaviour such as aiding and abetting the theft of cans of the stuff from Mexican restaurants. Don't tell anyone that though cause I might get deported ;)

7. How old were you when you became vegetarian/vegan?


vegetarian 19/ vegan 27
vegetarian 11/ vegan 17

8. Favorite vegan cheeze?
I've never had vegan cheeze and this makes me cry on the inside. Someone please send me some...for the love of god! I dream of the day vegan cheeze comes to Japan. Oh, but I sometimes make the cheezy sauce from Cozy Inside and use it for nachos and mac and cheese.
I've had Cheezly and Scheese and I think some other cheeze slice things. Scheese is awesome, I really miss it.

9. Cutest baby animal?

ME!
Wow, tough question. All baby animals are cute! Baby elephants are pretty fricking awesome though. And tapirs. Cause tapirs are fucking cool. You know it's true!!

10. Favorite type of jam/jelly/marmalade/preserves?

I think that would have to be blueberry.
I like raspberry jam and orange marmalade (the ones with the big chunky bits in).

11. Do you take any vitamins/supplements?

Yes, I take B12 in pill form a few times a week. I also take a multi-vitamin, but I'm running out so I take it irregularly now. Then I take an Omega 3 capsule once a week or so.
I take a multivitamin/mineral complex whenever I remember (probably about every other day or so). If I had some flaxseed oil capsules, I'd take them again because I felt awesome when I used to take them before.

12. What food/dish most embodies the Fall season?

Soup! Any and all kinds! Especially pumpkin!
Pumpkins, apples, squash, parsnips... Lots of root vegetables.

13. What food would you have a hard time living without?

Gluten, does that count? I use it to make all sorts of burgers and sausages.
Chilis! Maybe hot sauce, haha. I got really cranky when I went back home to Edinburgh last Christmas and there was no hot sauce in the house. Oh wait, maybe garlic!

14. Coffee, tea, or hot chocolate?

Hot chocolate.
Coffee!!!

15. It's 10PM and you're starving. What do you eat?


Popcorn or bake some dessert.
Well, I probably just got home from work so dinner, haha. If not dinner, I'll eat some cereal or crackers with hummus, pate or whatever spreadable substance I have lying around.

16. If you have an animal companion, what is his/her favorite food?

Sadly, I do not.
My awesome little Peabody (White's Tree Frog) sadly died a little while back :(

17. Worst injury you've gotten in the kitchen?


When I was about 13 or 14, I was babysitting and making pizza for dinner for the kids. I couldn't find their oven mitts, so I wrapped a towel around my hand and used that. The towel came unwrapped, just as the side of my thumb came in contact with the rack. I have about an inch long rack shaped scare on the back of my thumb, but it's faded with age.
In Home Economics class in high school, I once almost sliced off the top of my thumb when I was cutting plums. My plum crumble turned out very well though if I remember rightly.

18. When you have a food-related question, who do you call?

The freaks at Vegan Freak Forums! Or my co-blogger Sarah.
Pamela :)

19. Summer is ending- What food will you miss most?


Fruit and tomatoes.
In Japan, nothing because autumn and winter food is much better. In Scotland, local strawberries and wild brambles.

20. What snacks do you keep in your purse/backpack/desk at work?


I try not to keep too many snacks around, because I just eat them all. I have no self control. Also, I teach and don't like to eat between classes, nor are we allowed to have students see us eating.
Nothing usually. Sometimes I have pretzels at work.

21. Favorite soup to make on a rainy day?

I hardly make soups twice, since there are so many good ones to try out there. But I've made Fat Free Vegan's chili and Dreena Burton's Sniffle soups a couple of times.
I've never really followed a soup recipe, I just use whatever is lying around. If I have the ingredients though, I like to make pumpkin/butternut squash, sweet potato and apple soup. Yum!

22. What's your favorite combination of fresh vegetable and/or fruit juices?


I like just a vegetable juice like V8, I don't like the ones with fruit and veggies mixed very much.
Apple, carrot and ginger is really good. There is a juice bar near my house in Edinburgh that has something really good with beetroot in it but I've forgotten what the other ingredients are.

23. Favorite brand of root beer?


I can't remember the name...it's been so long. I pretty much only get A & W here, but that's definitely not my favorite.
That's like asking me to choose what the tastiest kind of shit is! I've said it a thousand times and I'm gonna say it again - root beer is pure liquid evil.

24. Make up your own question!
What's for dinner tonight?
Stuffed koya-dofu. There will be a recipe of this in the nearish future.

Do you sometimes want to punch random people in the back of the head?
Hell yeah.

-- Pamela & Sarah

No comments: