Monday 20 October 2008

A Day in the Life

I subscribed to Fit Day a long time ago and had always wanted to use it to just see how I'm doing in terms of getting all the rights nutrients.


So I figured I might as well take the oppurtunity of the MoFo to get my butt in gear. It took me forever to enter what I'd eaten so I doubt I'll be using it regularly, but it is helpful. By the way, I cook a lot of recpies myself, does anyone know if there is a way to add a whole recipe as one item? For example, I had to find every ingredient for the chili I made and then estimate how much of the recipe I ate. I figured all the premade and canned ones would be way off since they included meat or loads of salt or totally different ingredients. So it would be useful if I could have a recipe analyzed and then just click that recipe to add to my daily food log and adjust for how much of it I'd eaten.

Anyway, here's what I ate for the day.

Breakfast: I usually have a smoothie, but I recently realized you can eat oats raw (I have no idea why I didn't know that), so I decided to have an oat cereal. I used:


1/2 c oats
1/4 c raisins
1 Tbsp dried shredded coconut (unsweetened, but FitDay only had sweetened)
1 Tbsp frozen raspberries
1/2 c vanilla rice dream
1 Tbsp sliced almonds


It was actually too sweet, but really tasty.




Lunch: I always bring my lunch to work. It's usually leftovers from dinner. Today was no exception. I had the Red, Gold, Black, and Green Chili from the FatFree Vegan. I didn't use barley or the hot sauce and I had no garlic, so I used garlic powder. I ate the chili over 1/2 c of brown rice.




Dinner: I gave up. It's too hard to enter each ingredient for a whole recipe. I had brown rice, General Tao's tofu (subbing La Dolce Vegan's Faux Chicken for the tofu), and the Nasu Don from the Vegan Ronin. Here's a picture instead.



So what were my results? Well, I found out I have no idea how to import the graph from my page, but let me tell you a few things it said. (Remember this is only for breakfast and lunch.)


I'd had 916 calories.
I had over 100% of my daily need of carbs, fiber, Vitamin C, copper, sodium, and manganese.

I ate 61% of the protein (which I'm sure was pushed over 100% with my dinner).

I had 24% of the calcium.

And about 50% or more of the other needs, except Vitamin B12, D and E. (I get my D through some form of sunshine everyday and my B12 through nutritional yeast and a supplement, so I'm not too worried).

What do I think about it?
I ate way more sodium than I thought I do. I don't even particularly care for salt and don't add it to things that often. I also ate less things containing calcium than I thought. I know calcium is in dark, leafy greens and I don't eat enough of those because of their price and lack of variety in Japan. I can pretty much only get spinach (that I like and know how to use) or powdered kale.

I'm also not sure how accurate this thing is. Like it didn't ask me about cooking methods. But there you have it. Do any of you use FitDay? And if so, do you know how a recipe can be put in?



No comments: