Wednesday 1 October 2008

Restaurant Review: Cafe Proverb and The Inagural Mofo Post

I thought I'd kick off the Vegan Mofo by following up on our Cafe Proverb visit. We went there for dinner about a week ago. It's in the spot of the old Cafe Peace and has thankfully stuck with vegan offerings. Apparently, the owner of Cafe Proverb has written several books (that were on display) and is some sort of minister, thus the name. But otherwise you wouldn't know it. The decor was awesome and I'd say a step up from the hippie-ish vibe of Cafe Peace. This place felt, cool, modern, and comfortable all at the same time.


We started out with gyoza appetizers. Here is the view of the outside and inside.















They were served with a dipping sauce that was a tad spicy, but not too much (and trust me, I'm the biggest spice wimp).

Then the entrees came...

Sarah went for the Veggie Cutlet Curry (1300 yen).


This is based on a Japanese pork cutlet dish. I'll let her comment, as I only took one bite.









I had the much acclaimed Teriayki Tempeh Sandwich with added grilled onions (1280 yen). This was one of the best sandwiches I've had as a vegan. No, I take that back, it IS the best sandwich I've had as a vegan. Also, sandwich bread is impossible to buy in Japan (NOT vegan), so I rarely get to have a sandwich. Something that I think most vegans can't imagine. (Some baguettes are vegan, but that's it, so I sometimes eat those.)





Anyway, the sauce that was smothered on the tempeh was perfect. But it was also complimented by the mayo. There were also avocados, yellow peppers, and lettuce on the sandwich. I think there were some other subtles things to the sandwich that I make it difficult to replicate. I guess I'll just have to go back!

The menu also had other Japanese favorites like ramen (another very NOT vegan food, usually), a natto bowl, and curry. I want to work my way through the menu, but I think it will be very hard to not order that sandwich every time.

Look how much we enjoyed our food! Sarah on the top, me on the bottom (Hey, get your minds out of the gutter!).

















Oh my gosh! I almost forgot dessert!




They change the menu with the seasons and we were just in time for the start of the fall menu.



Sarah got the Caramel Apple Crumble, which from my one bite was heavenly.









I ordered the Chocolate Cake. After our orgasmic experience at Eat More Greens, I have to admit this chocolate cake was just ok. It felt a little dry and like there was just a ton of cocoa powder in it.















As you can tell, we will definitely be going back here! And hopefully soon! My boyfriend and I already have plans to check it out.

--Pamela

No comments: