Friday 24 October 2008

Fur Follow Up

I wanted to add something about our earlier fur march post.

Japan has very few opportunities for us to meet fellow AR activists or vegans, so we thought the march would be a potentially good place to meet people, as well as give out our zine. It was also our first time to see what sort of movement is going on here. We ended up not giving out too many zines because we were both kind of crabby and the march ended up going longer than we thought, so at the end we had to run off to the concert. At the concert we gave out about 60 zines.

Anyway, yesterday I stumbled upon this post by Bob Torres of Vegan Freak. I think his article sums up exactly how we feel about this issue. I urge you to read the full article, it's fairly short and very well written.

Let me post a few of the most striking parts of it for me.

"I do not think that fur is worse because it is more
expensive, and in any case, I’m really not into comparing wrongs in this regard:
if you believe that animal exploitation is wrong, fur is just as bad as
leather—period. "
And this one:
"Veganism is the conscious rejection of all forms of animal cruelty and
exploitation in one’s life; it is the only real and all-encompassing solution.
If you want to make a difference, don’t bother with Zappo’s and fur; don’t
bother with cage-free eggs; don’t bother with organic milk. Go vegan, use your
talents to get others to consider veganism, and help build a genuine movement of
people who will directly challenge the root causes of animal exploitation.
Anything else is ignoring the real problem."
I think I'll leave it there for now. Please read the article, it will give you a good understanding of where we are coming from with our veganism.
--Pamela

No comments: