Wednesday 5 March 2008

Making Miracles Out of ...this

I thought people might be interested to know what kinds of kitchens we have to work with here in Japan.



This is pretty much it. My counter is only about thigh high and I only have the little counter between the sink and the stove. My stove is a two burner with a fish grill in the middle or a pine nut toaster/fire starter in my case. My fridge is about chest high and on top of that is my microwave/oven. Not pictured are the cabinets above the sink which is where I keep all my plates and bowls. Under the sink is my pots and pans and under the stove is my pantry of canned goods and all dried cooking stuff.



This is the rest. Next to the fridge I have a spice rack which I keep my oils on top of. Recently, it's also where I store overflow canned goods and some vegetables like onions and potatoes. Next to the desk is my rice cooker, which now has a fancy schmancy food processor next to it. That's it. I don't even have a table. I just eat on the floor. I would love to have a 'real' sized fridge/freezer and oven. Someday...but I've never seen a 'real' oven in Japan. I sort of have the hang of my weird convection type oven now, but it still mostly cooks the tops of things and not the bottoms.

--Pamela

No comments: