Some music to rock out to while you cook
1 block of firm tofu
Garlic, 2/3 cloves
Onion (white or red), 1/2 medium-sized one
Tomato, 1/2 medium-sized one
Mushrooms, 2 or 3 large (I used shiitake cause they're cheap here!)
Jalapenos, 2 or 3 (depends how spicy you like it!)
Corn or flour tortillas (how many you use will depend on their size and how full you want them to be)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon soya sauce
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast (optional but I like it)
salt and pepper to taste
Recommended additions: avocado slices, hot sauce!
Instructions (as if you didn't know how to make scrambled tofu!):
1) Press your tofu between two plates. Put something heavy on the top one to help squeeze that tofu juice out... If you're lazy, you can skip the pressing - it's not totally crucial.
2) Mince your garlic, or chop it into teeny-tiny pieces by hand. Chop up your onion, tomato and mushrooms into small bited-sized chunks. Slice your jalapenos and make sure not to put your fingers in your eyes afterwards.
3) Heat about a tablespoon of oil or vegan margarine on medium heat in a frying pan and add your garlic and onion. Fry it all up until the onions start to get soft and you've inhaled enough of the delicious aroma.
4) Add your mushrooms, tomato and jalapenos and fry for a couple of minutes.
5) Sprinkle the turmeric, paprika and soya sauce into the pan and stir it up for 20 seconds or so. Add the nutritional yeast too if you're using it.
6) Crumble your tofu into the pan and give it a good stir around. You want to try not to mash it down too much but retain the chunkiness.
7) Now reduce the heat to low and let your tofu cook for about 10 minutes. If you find the mixture is sticking too much, you can add a splash of water.
8) Taste your tofu and and add salt and pepper as you like! If the mixture is still watery (you didn't press your tofu did you, you badass!) then keep it cooking on a low heat until the liquid has cooked off.
Toast or pan-fry your tortillas to warm them up. Spoon a generous helping of tofu into each one, garnish with some fresh avocado slices and splash on the hot sauce...... yum!
P.S. This scramble is delicious with some refried beans smeared onto the tortilla first! Also, you might like adding spinach, diced red pepper and/or chipotle if you're feeling saucy. Have fun!